Similar to the craze when Actor Ryan Reynolds added the muscle for Blade: Trinity, it’s now Australian actor Chris Hemsworth who’s getting tongues wagging about how he packed on the size for his latest movie Thor.
He wasn’t just buff, he was lean and muscular. There’s no doubt he looked pretty incredible, just take a look at the stills from the trailer below.
It just goes to show that anyone really can change their body if they commit and dedicate time.
So how did Chris pack on this size? What was his workout, his diet?
From recent interviews I’ve written this article on exactly how he did it.
And don’t forget guys, if you want a Custom Designed Diet and Workout Plan based on Chris Hemsworth’s Transformation just click here to get started.
Chris Hemsworth Bulking Phase Diet
Once Chris had accepted the role in Thor, he was given 3-4 months to get in shape, which meant he actually needed to add a solid 20 pounds of muscle. He was actually filming another movie called Red Dawn whilst he was bulking.
Chris was first given a diet to help add some bulk. He would then begin a four-week cutting phase to eliminate any fat and give him that hard muscled look for filming.
So, let’s take a look at the diet Chris took on for his bulking phase.
- 7 whole eggs, 2 yolks
- 100 g of oats
- A piece of fruit
- Meal Replacement Shake with 100 g oats
- 2 Chicken Breasts or Turkey or Beef Steak (150 g cooked weight)
- 1 Baked potato or brown rice (120 g)
- Green veggies
- Sugar-Free Drink
- Tin of Tuna with wholegrain sub, a little bit of light mayo, and lemon juice
- Usually steak or fish (depending on what you had for lunch)
- Wholewheat pasta and a serving of veggies
- Casein Protein shake with 10 g Glutamine
Would you like a Diet & Workout Plan based on Chris Hemsworth’s Thor Physique? We can set up a plan in just 48 hours. More info here.
As you’ll see Chris took in approximately 200 g or more of protein daily, which was crucial in order to build the muscle.
Carbs were approximately 200-300 g, depending on which days he trained. His diet was still pretty clean with a cheat meal once a week.
This diet lasted for the 8 weeks of bulking. He then moved onto his cutting diet. The only thing that changed here was his reduction in carbs and an increase in protein.
Chris Hemsworth Workout
For Thor, Chris took on a 5-day-a-week routine.
His trainer Chris Knight said the actor was working 12-hour days on the set of Red Dawn but worked out for 5 times a week regardless of that. He obviously has an amazing work ethic. This goes to show hard work always pays off.
So, lets’ first take a look at his Bulking Phase.
Chris Hemsworth Workout Part 1 – 8-Week Bulking Plan
- Week one: 4 sets, 4-6 reps
- Week two: 4 sets, 6-8 reps
- Week three: 4 sets, 8-12 reps
- Week four: 4 sets, 4-6 reps
- Repeated for weeks five to eight
Session one – chest and back
- Bench press
- Bent-over row
- Weighted pull-up
- Weighted dip
Session two – legs
- Hamstring curl
Session three – arms
- Weighted chin-up
- Close-grip bench press
Chris Hemsworth Workout Part 2 – 4-week cutting phase
Circuit #1: Tabata
- 20 sec on, 10 sec off
- 4 rounds of double kettlebell squats
- 8 rounds of snatches
- Kettlebell swings – 30 sec two-hand, 30 sec right-hand-only swings, 30 sec left-hand-only swings, 30 sec
- Cleans – 5 right, 5 left, 4 right, 4 left, 3 right, 3 left, 2 right, 2 left, 1 right, 1 left, then back up to 5 each side for a total of 60 reps with no rest
- Turkish get-ups – 5 min continuous
- Windmill – 5 on each side